Saturday, May 28, 2011

Granola Bar Fever

I've been searching far and wide for a good granola bar recipe.  I kept coming up against the same problems.  The recipes either called for corn syrup - not an option as  I'm trying to make healthy(ish) granola bars, or nut butter - also not an option due to nut allergies.  I contacted Sarah Forrester Wendt local cooking instructor and mom of three and she came up with an excellent recipe for me.  We've since been making them on a weekly basis, and they are so delicious and fast and easy to make that I decided to share.
:
Can you make it out?  Tip: I add an extra egg.  Another Tip: I'll print the recipe at the bottom of the post.  No one should be forced to decipher my handwriting.  Really the picture is just an excuse to show off my re-usable Superman sandwich bag.
Here's all the yummy ingredients gathered casually on my kitchen counter.
Please note - two of those bowls contain the same thing.  Only a handful of ingredients!  Amazing!
The best part of this recipe - aside from the awesome end product, is the ease of assembly.  If you choose not to put each and every ingredient in it's own separate measuring bowl you can use one 1/2 cup measuring utensil!   And everything gets dumped indiscriminately into the mixing bowl. Like so:
The ingredients like it better this way.

 You then take a parchment lined pan and press everything into it.  And because you used parchment paper you don't have to clean the pan!  You are so smart.

I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top mere moments after this photo was taken...

Bake for 20 minutes and voila!  granola bars!!
Yummers!
The recipe is super flexible.  You can add whatever you want for flavor.  We've tried it several different ways.  One of my favorites has been with raisins and apple chunks.  Though the kids tend to prefer anything with sunflower seeds and chocolate chips.  Maybe next time I'll put raisins, apple, sunflower seeds AND chocolate chips.  Let me know if you try it and what combinations of yummy-ness you invent.  Thanks again for the recipe Sarah!

Easy Peasy Granola bars

1/2 cup Olive Oil (or honey or maple syrup)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg (I find they stick together better with 2 - but maybe if you use honey or syrup you don't need egg number 2?)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt - I usually don't bother with the salt
1/4 cup wheat germ 
2 3/4 - 3 cups oats
3/4 cup raisins, chia, etc.
3/4 cup nuts, seeds, dried cranberries, you name it.  Sarah had tons of suggestions including grated carrot and any fruit combo you can dream up.  

Throw everything in a bowl and mix it up.  Then press it into a 9x13 pan and cook for 20 min at 350.  And presto!  Awesomeness personified.  

Check out more of what Sarah is all about  facebook on her group Kids Can Cook, or on her blog(lots more great recipes!) Macromom.

No comments:

Post a Comment